WHY MAP YOUR PROCESSES?
Transforming from traditional text to adopting the Process-based approach will simplify the complexity of multi‐tiered document systems and bring high levels of transparency to the organisation.
The Agility Process Mapping tool is highly efficient and provides clarity over ‘who does what when and where’.
At long last, we are seeing real take-up of Process mapping as the main carrier of information to help all disciplines understand their responsibilities within work practices. The key however is to reflect the sequence of events within the work practice in a simple to understand manner; we believe that adopting the Swim-Lane mapping structure is ideal to convey potentially complicated detail into an easy to understand format.
For example, the IDEF model is a useful format, however while simplification of the work routine is always the objective when creating a Process, the map can suddenly become seriously complicated once you add decision loops and simultaneous activities.
PROCESSES = TRANSPARENCY + INCREASED PERFORMANCE
The Agility process mapping tool features:
- Quick to create Swim-lane process Maps, even during live facilitated sessions
- Increased ownership and awareness of inputs and outputs of each process and measurable KPI’s
- An opportunity for improvement.
MAPPING PROCESSES HAS NUMEROUS BENEFITS
- Creation of Process Maps quickly, driving interest leading to increased ownership by the workforce
- Providing transparency to the overall set of activities, leading to identification of duplication and waste
- Alignment of business processes with organisational roles & responsibilities
- Improves the visibility of accountability and responsibilities
- Links to external repositories such as Documentum, Livelink or SharePoint
- Integrates Risks, Controls and Compliance within the process
- Provides links to associated documents, databases, applications, websites and more
- Reduction in text based procedures
CREATING GRAPHICAL MODELS TO REFLECT ACTUAL OPERATIONS
Before Process Maps are created, it is good practise to produce a graphical model that represents the actual flow of your operations. Once this model(s) has been agreed, identification of the processes that support each element requires definition. The example above shows a Strategy to Task Model.
Adopting the Process-based approach offers the organisation:
- Better understanding of the functions
- Quicker access to documents / processes
- Identification of possible bottlenecks / inefficiencies
The key to delivering a balanced management system is the need for alignment from top level vision, mission and values to the Process level and beyond.
PROCESS MANAGEMENT AND COMPLIANCE
With the ISO 9001:2015 standard advocating the process-based approach to quality and compliance management, the need for a robust, accurate, and easily implemented visual process mapping system is essential to understanding the interaction of operational processes with the core elements of the organisation.
RETURN ON INVESTMENT
Replace low value, labour intensive Procedures with streamlined Processes that are mapped to reflect exactly how your business operates will reduce waste and duplication.
Visualising your processes is the first key step towards understanding your business and maximising the efficiency of your processes.
INTEGRATED RISK WITHIN PROCESS (ISO 9001: 2015 RISK BASED THINKING)
The Risk Management component is a powerful tool where the user has visibility of where risk lies within a business process; with this level of awareness and clarity, the mitigation of the risk increases the likelihood of understanding at the source of concern.